Learn As You Earn – Life changing careers with Amazon Apprenticeships
A qualification and a career at the same time? That’s a bit like having your cake and eating it, right? But it really doesn’t have to be one or the other. Learning and earning within an apprenticeship means you get both – a qualification and a career.
Amazon apprenticeship schemes suit candidates with different backgrounds, qualifications and career aspirations; people who have a passion for learning and want to start a career now – or possibly retrain in a new direction.
To be successful you will need to be committed to your own development and be prepared to make the most of the opportunities, hands on experience and qualifications given to you.
After graduating with us, you will be qualified to apply for a permanent role within our team. Different programs are available throughout the UK, across our operations and corporate offices.
IT Apprentices work with cutting-edge technology to keep our business running smoothly by resolving complex hardware, software, server and infrastructure issues, for our operations network.
As an IT Apprentice, you will work on the shop floor of one of our fulfilment centers across the UK.
You will build your skills over a 48-month period - starting in September - that will include:
· Classroom based training hosted offsite, typically in block weeks
· Amazon’s on-the-job training program, delivered by our specialist teams,
· Mentoring from our IT engineers.
Alongside extensive development of your technical skills, you will also grow your abilities in crucial complementary areas like organization, prioritization, data analysis and problem solving techniques, teamwork, communication, and presentation skills.
During your first 15 months, you will work towards the L4 network engineering apprenticeship and will be introduced to the fundamental technical skills you need to become a successful Amazon IT employee by attending week-long offsite workshop modules covering:
· Network Principle and Systems,
· Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012,
· Technical Security,
· Threats and Vulnerabilities.
During your final years you will work towards the L6 Digital and Technology Solutions Professional apprenticeship specializing in network engineering, where you will continue to expand on your knowledge, diving deeper into the overall skillsets of which Engineers need to be industry leaders. Each modules is 10 weeks long and you will attend a 2 day face to face workshop, use videos, core reading, exercises and online tutorial. Modules will include:
· Business Strategy
· Research Methods (10 credits)
· Work Based Project (30 credits)
· Plus modules specific to network engineering
· Developing Technology Strategy
· Plus modules specific to network engineering
· Major Project (40 credits)
Not only will you receive invaluable learning, development and professional experience, you will also gain a number of qualifications:
· MTA Networking/ Mobility and Devices/Cloud Fundamentals
· Network Engineer L4 (equivalent to first year of degree study)
· BSC in Digital and Technology Solutions Professional
After graduating the IT Apprentice program, you will be fully qualified to apply to join our IT team permanently.
· For the apprenticeship program we prioritize applicants eligible to government funding for their apprenticeship and for this you need to:
- Have lived in the UK or in the European Economic Area (EEA) for the last 3 years,
- Be a resident of the UK for the entire duration of the program (36 months),
- Not be registered to study on a UK government funded course ending August 2020 or later.
· You will be 18 years old or older before the contract’s start date (August 2020),
· You have 2 A levels at C or above in Mathematics & IT,
And/Or a BTEC Extended Diploma in a similar subject (180 credits),
And/Or a Level 3 apprenticeship in a similar subject,
You must not hold an existing qualification at the same or higher level than this apprenticeship in a similar subject.
If you have received educational qualifications outside of the UK then we will require a Statement of Comparability to confirm your eligibility for the scheme. Please ensure you obtain one during the application process, through UK NARIC: https://www.naric.org.uk/naric/
· You can demonstrate a deep interest in IT and strong willingness to learn, you already have some experience either certified or self-taught in basic IT skills,
· You are able to read, understand and communicate in English, interact and engage comfortably with people at all levels of the business,
· You can follow a list of guidelines and instructions (verbal or written) to deliver results and meet deadlines,
· You have a hands-on attitude, flexible, adaptable and proactive,
· You seek - and respond well to - feedback,
· You aim to attain impeccable customer service, excellent customer facing skills,
· You have flexibility in working hours and shift patterns to provide cover for operational requirements.
These will be a plus for your career at Amazon but are not necessary to enter the program.
· You are able to operate in a challenging and fast paced environment,
Your recruitment process will start with your online application (providing your CV as well as answering questions about the above basic qualifications) and will then take you onto online testing and video interviewing on a platform called Hirevue.
As a last step, we will invite successful candidates to an on-site assessment center where they will visit the fulfillment center, participate in a group exercise, deliver a short presentation and finally discuss their profile and motivation during a 1 on 1 interview.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build.